The Department of Health and Social Care has commissioned KPMG to review the healthcare regulatory landscape and to make recommendations on whether the regulatory system can be simplified and the number of healthcare regulators reduced.
The review will look at the following independent healthcare regulators:
- General Medical Council
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- General Optical Council
- General Osteopathic Council
- General Pharmaceutical Council
- General Chiropractic Council
- General Dental Council
- Health and Care Professions Council
- Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care
Notably, the review will not look at healthcare regulators such as the Care Quality Commission, NHS England/Improvement, or the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency.
The DHSC believes this review is an opportunity to consider if the regulatory landscape could be “simplified to provide better public protection in a more efficient way”.