The Joint Committee on Human Rights (JCHR) will be taking evidence as part of a new inquiry into protecting human rights in care settings. On 12 January 2022 the Committee will hear from residents’ family members, representatives of campaign groups Rights for Residents, Age UK and the Relatives and Residents Association.
The new inquiry will cover a number of issues including:
- blanket bans and other restrictions on visiting;
- restraints and confinement;
- decision-making over treatment;
- use of do-not-resuscitate notices; and
- cases of mistreatment or neglect.
The overall aim of the new inquiry is to understand how the human rights of people in care settings, and their families, can be secured and protected.